Free School Meals

Parents claiming some benefits can also claim free school meals for any of their children who are registered at a Staffordshire school and who would normally be at school at lunch time.

Who can get free school meals?

You can claim free school meals for your children if you are eligible for or in receipt of any of the following:

Income Support

Income Based Job Seekers Allowance

Income Related Employment and Support Allowance

Child Tax Credit but not Working Tax Credit and the household income is not more that £16,190. Please note, anyone receiving Working Tax Credit, or if you have a partner and they receive it, regardless of Income, you will not qualify

the Guarantee element of State Pension Credit (from 30th April 2005)

Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

Free school meals information leaflet – PDF version (732 kb)

How to apply

You should complete the form, filling in the names of all the children you want to claim for. You only need to fill in one form even if your children go to different schools.

Apply onlineClick here for the online application application form.

Apply by post – Ask your school to give you a form to fill in, or contact us to send you one in the post.

If applying by post, the completed form should be sent to:

Free School Meals
Staffordshire County Council,
Tipping Street,
ST16 2DH,       


Attendance Officer
Chase Terrace Technical College,
Bridge Cross Road,

Proof of benefit

Staffordshire County Council doesn’t always need to see proof of which benefit you are on in order to process your application. They can now check to see if you are entitled by using the National Free School Meals Eligibility Checking Service.

For this service to be used and to process your claim quickly, you must make sure that you include your National Insurance number and own date of birth on the form. Note: by signing the form you are agreeing for Staffordshire County Council to check this service.

If the check shows that you are not entitled you will be ask for recent, written proof of benefit. Suitable written proof includes an Income Support book or a recent letter from the Benefits Agency giving details of the claim, your Pension Credit M1000 Award Notice or, in the case of Child Tax Credit, a form from the Inland Revenue detailing your entitlement.

The Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

If you are receiving support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999, please contact us, and we will give you more details of how to claim free meals for your children.

Further Information

If you would like to apply for free school meals please contact the school or email: