Our History

William Beyne, Abbot of Burton Abbeyendowed a grammar school in the early 16th century, it was opened by 1531. The boys’ grammar school moved to Winshill in 1957. It was administered by the County Borough of Burton upon Trent, and known as The Grammar School with about 600 boys. The girls’ high school opened in 1928. In 1975 the grammar school was merged with the Burton on Trent Girls’ High School and Ada Chadwick Secondary Modern School to become Abbot Beyne mixed Comprehensive School on Mill Hill Lane.

Today Abbot Beyne School is an 11 – 18 Comprehensive School with approximately 675 students on roll, situated to the south of Burton upon Trent.  The school is very fortunate in its location with grounds of 19 hectares over-looking the River Trent. The school is split site with Years 7 – 9 predominantly based on the Evershed site and Years 11 – 13 based on the Linnell site.